Monday 10 September 2012

Laser-cut Ferrari GTO

In mid-summer, I received an e-mail from BrandMetal, a Nova Scotia company promoting the fact that they could laser-cut your logo out of stainless steel.

I contacted the owner Mathew to find out what they need to make it happen. The idea I had was to do a pen&ink sketch and have them laser-cut it. I found the contrast of a hand-rendered sketch being laser-cut from steel very intriguing.

After much stumbling around to produce something BrandMetal could actually use, I had the stainless steel cut and powder-coated in red.


Once I got it back, I hand-painted the white highlights onto the red surface. I did the N.A.R.T. logo in colour to create a focal point. 

Everything that you see in black on the piece represents my original sketch, and has been actually laser-cut out, even the Cavallino Rampante of the N.A.R.T. logo! 
Everything that you see in black in the first photo represents the original sketch. The whole piece is 25"x 10" (63.5cm x 25.4cm) and weighs 4 lbs.

I'm only doing a very limited edition of 10 copies. If you are interested in acquiring one, please contact me at
paul.chenard@hotmail.com

I'll be showing it off at our Goodwood Revival Market Stand #61; drop by to see it!

I'll be following this piece up with a blue Cobra Daytona Coupe.



3 comments:

Ugo Capeto said...

Looks awesome, the car and the cut steel. What's next? 3d printing?

Automobiliart.com said...

Hi Ugo
I'm actually exploring the idea of 3D sculpture made from separately designed and cut pieces of sheet steel.

The possibilities are wide open ...
Cheers!

Cindy Meitle said...

I'm in love! I treasure the card you sent to me a few years back and it's proudly displayed on my very red office on the wall. I love the red background of this one.